I wrote a course on basic economics, personal finance and entrepreneurship with a chapter/lesson that talks specifically about making the process of wealth-building into a game. Looking for others to help make that happen more literally.

Views: 284

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is quite cool! Could you make some of the material available? :)

Sure, be glad to. First, here is a list of the course contents:

CONTENTS

Building New Wealth, Building New Worlds

Lesson One: Introduction to Money

Lesson Two: Your Deeper Relationship with Money

Lesson Three: Establishing Your Foundation

Lesson Four: Buying Happiness

Lesson Five: Introduction to Markets and Capital

Lesson Six: Your Deeper Relationship with Markets

Lesson Seven: Profile of a Wealth-Builder

Lesson Eight: Creating Value and Increasing Income

Lesson Nine: Forming Your Wealth-Building Alliance

Appendix One: Setting Clear and Achievable Goals

Appendix Two: Resources for Further Study

And here is the lesson that refers to making wealth-building into a game:

LESSON FOUR:

BUYING HAPPINESS

It is often said that money can not buy happiness. A common retort to people who say this is that they just do not know where to shop. There is truth in both statements. If we think of money as a kind of energy in our lives, we can see that everything depends upon how we use it. If we understand the conditions that support our happiness, we can use our money to establish and nurture those conditions.

The unifying theme of these lessons is that wealth-building is world-building. In the process of building wealth, you are in the process of building your life. If the process is not pleasurable, it is pointless. If the process is not pleasurable, you are doing it wrong. This month's lesson is brief but very important. It teaches how to make wealth-building FUN.

PERSONAL WEALTH AND PERSONAL GROWTH

The psychologist Abraham Maslow talked about needs that people have beyond immediate survival needs such as air, water, food and shelter. When those basic needs are met, our attention turns to the fulfillment of social needs for friendship and intimacy, intellectual and aesthetic stimulation and personal growth. The ability to fulfill all of these needs is wealth. Money is a means of creating that wealth. To repeat something that was said in Lesson Two:

[H]aving more money really means having more freedom and power to do the things that you want to do. We need money to survive but it also helps us to thrive and to fully enjoy the pleasures of life. Money is a means to purchase material luxuries, of course, but it also facilitates having fun with our family and friends, learning new things, supporting causes that we care about and improving our worlds in every way.

Managing your money more wisely and accumulating more of it is simply a means of gaining more control and more freedom in your life. It gives you more time and more options in exploring and satisfying your personal needs and likewise so in creating the life that enables you to become the truest and fullest expression of yourself.

That is what Deep Indulgence is all about and why it is explicitly included in the spending plan described in last month's lesson. To be truly wealthy, it is not enough to simply accumulate enough money to live comfortably and pleasurably. You must seek out, both within and beyond yourself, the life that most fully and deeply satisfies your unique and personal needs.

WHERE TO BUY HAPPINESS

One way to use money to increase happiness that was already mentioned in last month's lesson is by contributing to charity. In the context of this lesson, we want to stress that you consider charitable giving carefully and give to causes that you truly care about. Giving to causes that you do not truly, personally and deeply care about - regardless of how worthy you may intellectually consider them to be - will on some level feel like an obligation. Giving to a cause that you truly resonate with will make you feel good on all levels.

Perhaps the most effective way to buy happiness is to lessen your focus on things and spend more on the dynamics of living. Having the things that you need to live in comfort and quality is good. Neither is there anything wrong with owning some designer clothing, high-end toys and shiny baubles (go back to Lesson Two if you think that there is). However, even if something like collecting jewelry, special cars, fine art or antique furniture is truly your real passion in life, you will still increase your happiness by using most of your extra spending on creating memories and accomplishments. Beyond the point of securing survival and comfort, good times are truer wealth than stuff.

Things like travel, continuing education, taking up an art or sport and enjoying special times with friends and family - perhaps in combination with travel, learning and art or sport - are the most commonly described sources of happy experiences that can be facilitated by having money. You will want to explore such things for yourself and tune into your own personal wavelength of happiness. These are your Deep Indulgences.

The mistake that is often made in trying to buy happiness is that money is randomly spent (as it can be, according to the means of the spender) on the immediate gratification of petty whims. In contrast, the process taught in these lessons works to establish the conditions for happiness by focusing on real needs and deep desires - things that are unique and personal to you - combined with a sense of accomplishment by working over time for their best fulfillment.

MAKING IT INTO PLAY

If you go back to the questions that were asked in the first two lessons and think about the bad habits and attitudes that people can have with regard to money, it makes sense that many people to some degree expect the work involved in building wealth to be uncomfortable, difficult or simply boring. By now, you should have made some progress in transforming any bad attitudes or habits of your own and have a new viewpoint on the process. You can further build upon that new viewpoint by invoking a sense of play and turning your wealth-building into a game.

Just look at last month's lesson. Frugality and thrift are often thought of in terms of being cheap or miserly and can be associated with grim mindsets of fear and lack. For some, this may be true. However, when you are coming up with new ways to get more value for the money that you spend, how is that not a game? The game is to get more out of your money while spending less of it. Every bargain is a win and your savings can be applied to increasing your overall "score" - your net worth. Along the way, your Deep Indulgences can and should be thought of as bonuses.

Later in this course, in addition to the creativity that you are currently bringing to saving the money that you already have, you will be bringing even more creativity into making more money. If you have cultivated your sense of play with regard to wealth-building, the game will become even more exciting then.

TAKING ACTION

1. Think about all of the different kinds of needs that you might have as listed above: survival needs (such as food, clothing and shelter), social needs for friendship and intimacy, intellectual and aesthetic stimulation and personal growth. Include FUN. Daydream and fantasize about the specific ways of fulfilling those needs that would be most uniquely satisfying and stimulating for you. Describe these in your journal.

2. Think again about charitable giving and what causes resonate with you most strongly. Adjust your giving accordingly.

3. Having given them time to percolate in your mind, go back to Step 1 and think about how you might make those dreams and fantasies actually happen. Compose a list of possible Deep Indulgences. Choose one or two to start saving for now.

4. Use your enthusiasm for your Deep Indulgence to motivate your savings. Do not look at money put aside now simply as money put aside, know that it is a dream coming true in the future.

5. Going forward, as you accumulate Deep Indulgence experiences, make notes of your experiences and reflections in your journal. Maybe you will not enjoy some as much as you thought that you would. Maybe you will really enjoy some of them even more than you expected to. Look especially for patterns that can help you to seek out even deeper indulgences of your truest Self.

6. Both now and with the lessons still to come, think about all of the ways that wealth-building can be seen as a game. Take this perspective and apply it as you take all of the actions suggested at the end of each lesson.

Edward, you might want to look at the financial education games at http://www.practicalmoneyskills.com/games/ 

Might be a good source of ideas and maybe even collaboration. :)

Edward,

I have your solution, or more to the point the framework to your solution. I am building a new web server software. That software once completed will let developers, and designers create content in a whole new way, in all sorts of industries. However I started it because I want to build a game that requires it to work. Your game, though nothing like mine, will benefit from this framework because you will suddenly be able to build a game that inherently is built to direct and stay with a user while browsing the internet.

Let me explain: Maybe your game shows a user 1000 places to register for online that can help them build wealth. Maybe the users gets points in the game for visiting those sites and more points for registering. Maybe they also get points for completing actions like sending emails or posting on social networks.

Now your game could do that like http://empireavenue.com does but nothing like having live interaction with the game like I'm proposing. check out this screen shot of a mock up of my game.

http://odtpserver.org

So that's my two cents I can see all sorts of ways to make your game work but you like everybody else needs a developer and funding I think.

Very interesting, Mike. When is the predicted launch date?

Mayor,

I am working on it alone right now but am launching a http:///www.fundable.com campaign this week which cold make the release date just a few months away. Right now it looks like forever as I have a business or two to run but once fundable kicks in and the open source project starts getting more donations it should come out very quickly thereafter.

Once I get funding by the way I'm building a 3D engine too that make a website look like this

And this

and eventually this

all that from webmastertalk.com

cool right?

Thanks, all. I will be looking into some of this but am still open to ideas/offers.

Is this like a virtual world you can walk through on a web page?

yup!

Cool!

RSS

Welcome

Welcome Gameful Monster!

Welcome to Gameful, which we are happy to report is officially a partner with Games for Change!

After you signup, here's what you can do to get started:

• Explore the groups. Find one that interests you? Join it! Want to invite friends and find new allies? Create your own group.
  • Looking for an opportunity? Looking for collaborators? Check out the classifieds. By the way, here is a Gameful opportunity
  • Check the webinars and learn more about what we love the most
  • Invite friends and group members from Gameful 1.0 to join this shiny new one
  • Make a blog post
  • Friend and talk to the Mayor, or chat with anyone online (lower right)
  • Stay tuned for Gameful challenges, where you can design your own social impact game!
  • Take off your shoes and enjoy :)

Thanks everyone!

Members

© 2019   Created by Mod.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service