Date: July 27, 2015
Job Title: 3D Generalist
Reports to: Art Director
Exemption Status: Exempt
Location: Madison, WI
Compensation: $36,700 - $50,700, commensurate with directly relevant experience
Applicants must apply via our website. Resumes sent from Indeed or LinkedIn will not be reviewed.
Nature and Scope
Filament Games is seeking a seasoned 3D generalist with Unity experience to join one of our development teams in Madison, WI. This full-time, salaried position will play a pivotal role in the development of a new, next-gen, tablet-based learning game to be built in Unity 3D.
We'd like to see someone who:
- Is self-directed: you will be the sole 3D artist on your dev team, and it will be up to you to take the lead in your area of expertise
- Is comfortable collaborating with a tightly-knit, multidisciplinary team of game development professionals
- Is comfortable establishing and maintaining compelling visual styles
- Takes the time to iterate upon and polish assets to create the best possible game experience
- Is committed to their craft and passionate about making exceptional games.
When applying Include a cover letter, addressed to Connor Hayes, a resume, and a visual portfolio (preferably web-based) showcasing your very best work.
Authority, Responsibility, & Relationships
- Provide estimates to the production team
- Work with Interaction Design, Game Design, Illustration, and Engineering teams to create and integrate production-ready game assets (characters, props, environments)
- Work across all aspects of 3D asset production: low-poly modeling, texture creation, UVs, rigging, animation, lighting, shader creation, particle FX
- Format assets according to design specs, technical requirements, and 3D best practices
- Create consistent artwork from concept through integrated asset
- Collaborate with a small team of artists to establish new art styles when necessary, and match existing styles when required
- Complete work on schedule
- Reports to: Art Director
- Direct Reports: None currently
- Coordinates activity with: Design, Art, Engineering, and Production
Measures of Success
- Complete production-grade 3D assets in a timely manner
- Revise work according to stakeholder feedback
- Communicate effectively with team members and production
- Effectively manage time as part of a team or working individually
- Stay current with latest relevant technologies
- 3 years professional experience making games
- 5+ years creating 3D art
- World-class visual portfolio
- Degree or certificate in 3D art, digital art, or related discipline
- A bright, colorful, engaging aesthetic
- Demonstrated ability to create character and environmental animations that are natural yet playfully exaggerated
- Strong grasp of color, form, composition, and motion
- Extensive Unity experience including mobile integration/optimization, as well as a strong understanding of Unity's tech pipeline and mobile limitations
- Imaginative, innovative, and versatile
- Driven to create exceptional games
- Comfortable sharing, inspiring, brainstorming, and communicating ideas and concepts
- Receptive to critical feedback
- Blender experience (we are a Blender studio)
- FX animation and shader creation
- Familiar with Agile production methodology
- Familiarity with classic and current games
About Filament Games
Filament Games is a game production studio that creates digital learning games and interactives. Our mission is to deliver best-in-class teaching solutions that foster 21st-century skills through experiential learning. We believe that games are a powerful way to engage and inspire learners, and we approach game design by translating learning objectives directly into meaningful gameplay mechanics and playful curriculum materials.
Benefits: Filament Games is an awesome place to work. Why?
- Our team is a creative, interdisciplinary group of people who are making a difference. Through innovative educational games we’re working to modernize education and revolutionize learning!
- We believe that the best work – and the best life – comes from a healthy balance between work and play, discipline, and fun. Our office culture reflects this. For example, we have flexible work hours, LAN nights, grill outs, sketch comedy classes, Show-n-Tells, and the occasional paintball battle.
- Our stylish office is located on the top floor of 316 West Washington, and offers stunning views of the heart of downtown Madison, a lively city with a world-class university, burgeoning tech industry and beautiful state capitol. Downtown Madison is a vibrant, active urban center with fun weekly events like Concert on the Square and the Farmer’s Market, and offers access to a variety of eclectic restaurants, music venues, and the best of Madison’s nightlife.
- Filament offers a competitive benefits package, including health/dental/vision care, short & long term disability, a Flexible Spending Account, 401k retirement plan, subsidized bus fare, discounted gym membership, discounted parking, generous paid time off and extended holidays including a paid Christmas break!
To apply please visit our website at https://filamentgames.bamboohr.com/jobs/ and click on the position which you are interested.
Please note: Specific information or materials are requested for some job postings. Be sure to include the requested information, or your application will not be reviewed.
Applicants will be considered for positions on the basis of qualifications and ability to perform the job for which they are applying without regard to race, religion, creed, sex, age, residency, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, or physical appearance. Minorities are encouraged to apply.