Date: July 20, 2015
Job Title: Visual / Interaction Designer I
Reports to: Art Director
Exemption Status: Exempt
Location: Madison, WI
Compensation: $41,900 - $58,700, commensurate with directly relevant experience
Applicants must apply via our website. Resumes sent from Indeed or LinkedIn will not be reviewed.
Nature and Scope
Filament Games is seeking a Visual / Interaction Designer I to collaborate with our closely knit team of game development professionals in Madison, WI. As a Visual / Interaction Designer, your job will be to inspire, entertain, and educate our users through innovative, beautiful digital media experiences. You’ll have the chance to work on games spanning a variety of topics across both desktop and mobile platforms. Your artistic vision will play a key role in establishing both the form and function of the games you work on.
We’d like to see someone who:
- Loves designing and implementing beautiful interfaces based on principles of graphic design and usability
- Looks for ways to enhance the user experience in the form of elegant design solutions and novel user interactions
- Is comfortable taking the time to iterate upon and polish designs, animations, and other assets
- Has enthusiasm for cross-disciplinary collaboration
Include a cover letter, addressed to Connor Hayes, a resume, and a visual portfolio (preferably web-based) showcasing your very best work. We are looking for exceptional visual designs, UI samples, and comprehensive digital design solutions.
Authority, Responsibility, & Relationships
- Manage your project art pipelines and delegate tasks to the illustration team
- Provide estimates to the production team
- Collaborate with team members to shape the tone, look, and feel of your projects
- Work iteratively with the illustration team to establish and maintain visual styles
- Work iteratively with the game design team to translate pitches and storyboards into wireframes/mockups/motion concepts/prototypes/experience designs that explore and communicate the design
- Work iteratively with the engineering team to create game-ready assets and functional, polished UI infrastructure
- Review, critique, and integrate illustration assets
- Revise work according to critique, changing requirements, and user and stakeholder feedback
- Limited travel to observe in-classroom playtests
- Meet with project stakeholders
- Reports to: Art Director
- Direct Reports: None currently
- Coordinates activity with: Design, Art, Engineering, Web, and Production
Measures of Success
- Create engaging, clear user experiences that bring reason to the subject matter
- Develop innovative solutions for common usability issues
- Implementations match the fidelity and intent of the original design
- Effective cross-disciplinary collaboration: from engineering to art to production to game design
- Generate comprehensive asset lists
- Complete features and assets in a timely manner
- Stay current with latest relevant technologies
- Degree in Graphic Design, UX, HCI, Art, Animation, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years using visual design tools such as Photoshop and Illustrator
- Demonstrated experience designing sleek, usable interfaces and/or graphic layouts
- Strong aesthetic sense and visual literacy: layout, color, visual hierarchy, and typography
- Ability to use graphics and motion to document and communicate user flow, animation, and transitions
- Ability to design in a variety of styles
- Strong written, visual, and verbal communication skills
- Imaginative and innovative
- Driven to create exceptional art assets and to constantly improve your craft
- Comfortable sharing, inspiring, brainstorming, and communicating ideas and concepts
- Empathy, not ego: committed to understanding and empathizing with users, always open to design input and iteration
- Passionate about design and technology
- Drawing or illustration
- Experience using Adobe Flash
- Experience using Unity
- Familiarity with CSS and HTML
- Familiarity with classic and current games
About Filament Games
Filament Games is a game production studio that creates digital learning games and interactives. Our mission is to deliver best-in-class teaching solutions that foster 21st-century skills through experiential learning. We believe that games are a powerful way to engage and inspire learners, and we approach game design by translating learning objectives directly into meaningful gameplay mechanics and playful curriculum materials.
Benefits: Filament Games is an awesome place to work. Why?
- Our team is a creative, interdisciplinary group of people who are making a difference. Through innovative educational games we’re working to modernize education and revolutionize learning!
- We believe that the best work – and the best life – comes from a healthy balance between work and play, discipline, and fun. Our office culture reflects this. For example, we have flexible work hours, LAN nights, grill outs, sketch comedy classes, Show-n-Tells, and the occasional paintball battle.
- Our stylish office is located on the top floor of 316 West Washington, and offers stunning views of the heart of downtown Madison, a lively city with a world-class university, burgeoning tech industry and beautiful state capitol. Downtown Madison is a vibrant, active urban center with fun weekly events like Concert on the Square and the Farmer’s Market, and offers access to a variety of eclectic restaurants, music venues, and the best of Madison’s nightlife.
- Filament offers a competitive benefits package, including health/dental/vision care, short & long term disability, a Flexible Spending Account, 401k retirement plan, subsidized bus fare, discounted gym membership, discounted parking, generous paid time off and extended holidays including a paid Christmas break!
To apply please visit our Careers website at https://filamentgames.bamboohr.com/jobs/ and click on the position that you would like to apply for.
Please note: Specific information or materials are requested for some job postings. Be sure to include the requested information, or your application will not be reviewed.
Applicants will be considered for positions on the basis of qualifications and ability to perform the job for which they are applying without regard to race, religion, creed, sex, age, residency, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, or physical appearance. Minorities are encouraged to apply.